Monday, December 19, 2011

Positivity

What you focus on expands. Have you ever been told, "Wow, you look like you've lost weight", and you say "nah", and before you know it the pounds start to creep on. Or the flip-side of that coin, when you make a decision to really celebrate your body and appreciate yourself, and then suddenly your body begins to fall right into place. Where would you like to put your attention? The mind is very powerful, and staying positive can be a challenge. But by focusing on the positive, our lives become joyous, and the little irritations matter less.


When I first started to watch my mind during yoga or spinning, I began to notice the way I would speak to myself. If I started grunting and complaining about how hot and sore I was, my body seemed to get more tired. When I focused on how good it felt to get my heart pumping blood to my extremities, and I remembered that the intensity is actually the feeling of my body falling right into place, I grew not only to look forward to my workouts, but the results turned out to be better. 


During the holiday season, or whenever there is a marker of time, generally we fall into a pattern of comparison. We compare to what other people seem to have, or judge our insides by another person's outsides. I have often fallen prey to being jealous of myself! What I used to have or what was happening last year, as opposed to this year. Things were very different. Last year I was off to spend the holidays with my boyfriend and his family, and this year, I am experiencing heartbreak and the loss of that relationship.


It is very easy to focus on what we do not have or what used to be, however, I am experiencing that I can take that very same circumstance and surrender to exactly where I am, that it can be correct, and even joyous. I had a break through the other morning where I settled into the feeling of heartbreak, and appreciated it for exactly what it is. It actually feels very good to be human and have my heart break open. I began focusing on how grateful I am for having had this love, and now for the loss of it... which includes this pain in my heart and the beauty of that surrender. 


I have created a positive affirmation for myself:
I surrender this relationship to God, so that I can feel closer to God and have faith that I am being carried to exactly where I need to be.


This has been incredibly expansive for me and I am feeling very good, even amidst change.  Don't take my word for it. Try each day this month to come up with a positive affirmation to live by, and watch what happens.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great inspiring post...thanks for the reminder to stay positive and grateful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, thank you so much for sharing. Your experience, your attitude and your message are so inspiring and uplifting. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete