I heard a quote that said "Awakening is the ultimate blow to the ego." ...Until now, I did not know. "What was I thinking...?"Mind blown. I have experienced it in this way: Like I've been punched right in the gut or slapped in the face. Made to laugh. Had my hand slammed in a door. Time and time again, I find myself waking up.
- When the planes crashed into the towers.
- When my father died while I was out of the room making a call.
- Watching my siblings wake up slowly on a Sunday morning and witnessing my brother tell them their father is dead. "Is this really happening?" I could feel myself think as the moment unfurled.
- The blows I have taken, literally in the face by some men I never knew except in that intimate moment which forever branded my soul that June night.
- The sound of lightning so loud that I stopped to take note, and later that day encountered a woman who had seen the surfer who had been struck in that moment.
- The stark naked feeling of a two thousand person audience that was palpable to me as a 14 year old performing on stage for the first time. Me, gasping silently.
- The light of the sun shining in my eyes.
- My father's rage cutting me through the pain in his eyes.
- My first fluffy cat, getting stuck under an oak wood chair, and the herculean surge running through my adrenaline laden 3 year old body coming to the rescue.
After a particular heightened experience I had with a shaman, a simple profound thought arose within me: the gift it EXACTLY WHO YOU ARE. Nothing added to that. To not be afraid to see the self. Naked. No decoration. It happens in a flash.
Just a thought for you, on this regular Saturday.
Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.
After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.
|Praying by Alex Grey|