Monday, June 17, 2013

Short Trips & Staying Fit

I am writing this blog today from the sky. I am literally up-in-the-air, on my MacBook Air. Mid-air and mid-book tour. I am visiting 8 cities including my home town of Los Angeles, California in 28 days! I get to teach classes, meet many of you, and sign my book. (Sidebar: I actually got to pick up a copy of the New York Times at Dulles Airport in D.C. this morning to look at Yogalosophy on the list. #19. Hooray!) This rigorous flight schedule and series of hotel stays requires me to walk my talk regarding staying fit and self-care. I thought I would share these tips with you today.

TOP THREE  TIPS TO STAY FIT ON SHORT TRIPS:

1. Water! Simple? Yes. Easy? No. I am a big tea drinker, and I like my coffee too. Sometimes I forget to hydrate. This is why my new airport routine includes purchasing a large bottle of water and chugging it pre-flight. I then continue to drink bottled water throughout. (Aisle seat, please.) This way, I am insured to get my 60-100 ounces on a travel day.

2. Walk. Yep, it's doing something. It's nice to get to a new city and become acclimated to the environment. Once I've unpacked and checked out the hotel gym and spa, I step outside and walk for thirty minutes in any direction and then back. This way, I can find my local options. It helps me to know exactly where to find the juice and salad bars, fresh veggie markets, and local parks. Not only do I get to explore the local healthy haunts, but I immediately get my heart pumping my blood to my extremities, and I get to oxygenate my blood by taking deep breaths. Walking is a grounding action, especially after flying.

3. Create a morning routine. When traveling on short trips, it's a bonus that I get some isolated "me" time. When I am at home, there is always an errand to do, a friend to catch up with, or some work around my apartment that needs tending to. Being away from home lends itself to a little extra time and space (all you need is an hour) to create a mind-body routine. I like to begin my day with a fifteen- to twenty-minute meditation, a little journaling, perhaps a gratitude list or writing the way that I feel, and a pot of tea. Then it's off to the hotel gym to get 30 minutes of exercise. Once I have taken this "me" time, I feel centered, even though I may be in a completely unknown city.

I want to thank you so much for your energy, let you know that I am enjoying the variety, and particularly meeting each one of you face-to-face. There is nothing more heart warming than walking into a room I have never been in before to be greeted by friends whom I have never met.

No comments:

Post a Comment