Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Creative Eating

You are what you paint! Summer is a time for play and projects, and we are right in the heart of it as we head out of July. The difference between snacking unconsciously in front of the fridge or taking the time to make your food into an experience changes your relationship to what you are eating, and therefore the result. What if you are the WAY YOU EAT. So create and enjoy! Be creative.

I am not a chef by nature. I often pretend that Whole Foods is my personal chef. But with the overstock of fresh fruits that I have had delivered to my door from the local organic food delivery service FarmBox LA as of late, I need to find a way to make use of the excess sweetness in my fridge. I also love the idea of creating and making my food a project.

Case in point: Painted Fruit. (See below.)

I have daily recipes in my book. Some offerings from celebrity chef Melissa Costello, who works with Tony Horton and is one hundred percent vegan. I have an offering of an afternoon pick-me-up from the extra cool Justin Theroux, and I picked up this stellar RAW dessert or breakfast treat from my favorite vegan yoga-loving family, the Harrelsons. Yep, that lovable Woody we all so adore.

Leave it to this bunch of creatives to make their fruit fun. This is a great project for your kids, because the "paint" is dark green and super messy, but it's also good for them, as it is jam-packed with sea minerals and greens that are nutritious for the bloodstream. It is sweetened with agave which is low glycemic, and it is also hearty because of the RAW nut butter combo which is easy to digest. Since I am my own kid, I like to make this on my own and add coconut or nuts to give it extra chewiness or crunch. If you insist, you can add some granola.

Not only can you re-create your body with cardio, but you will be well on your way towards creating your way into a juicy, messy, sweet treat with this delectable recipe.


Painted Fruit

• 1 heaping tablespoon raw almond butter 
• 1 heaping tablespoon raw tahini 
• 1 teaspoon agave nectar 
• 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice 
• 1 tablespoon hempseed oil 
• 3 tablespoons spirulina powder 
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon 
• ¼ teaspoon Celtic sea salt 
• ½ cup coconut water 

In a small bowl, mix almond butter, tahini, agave, lemon juice, cinnamon, and hempseed oil together until creamy. Slowly stir in spirulina powder. If mix starts to get too thick, start stirring in the juice and then add the remaining spirulina. Mix to desired consistency.You may forego the juice, depending on desired thickness. 

Pour or spoon the mix over freshly cut fruit (banana, mango, papaya, heaps of berries). Garnish with more cinnamon and dried coconut shavings.The paint doesn’t last very long, so consume immediately, share with friends, or store in the fridge! May be served with chopped almonds for added crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment