Ways to realign the mind:
- Journal. Look for your core beliefs. State what is bothering you. Then ask yourself: What if it were true? Would it be so bad? What is the worst thing that could happen? Keep on going until you distill your core belief.
- Meditation. While sitting, watch your mind drift to different thoughts and simply label the thought: "thinking". Each time you do this, remember to come back to the present moment and your breath.
- Write a gratitude list. Simply writing 5 things you are grateful for and saying "thank you" will direct your mind to a better place.
Ways to realign the body:
- Walk. Walking balances out both hemispheres of the brain. It is also a good way to realign your spine.
- Iyengar Yoga. This type of yoga is focused on alignment. It uses props, and reminds the body to allow the skeleton to realign. Patience is required, and I highly recommend this type of yoga for anyone who wants to learn about proper form.
- Legs Up the Wall pose. Any posture where you are supported by the floor will allow your spine to realign naturally. This is a nice restorative way to allow your structure to fall back into place.
Ways to realign your heart:
- Place your hands on your heart and breathe. (You can even tap your chest in the center where your heart is. Just by intending to feel, you will be amazed how easily you can.)
- Give and receive hugs. Remember that hugging is about being heart-to-heart. Embrace your friend, and place your hand on his or her back, right behind the heart. Feel the energy exchanged.
- Smile. Even the act of smiling brings joy and openness to the heart. Smile at a stranger and feel the joy you give and receive.
Ways to realign the spirit:
- Be in nature. Nature is spirit. Use your senses to connect to this true beauty. It is good for your spirit because you too are nature. Have you ever seen an imperfect flower? Of course not!
- Be still. Take time throughout your day to get still and take a deep breath. Imagine Spirit working through you in the moment.
- Be creative. Spirit is creative. When you create (or recreate) you are honoring that your are both created by spirit and are a creative spirit. Paint, dance, make an art project, plant a tree.
As we realign with the spirit of compassion and healing, may we all find peace.