Monday, July 11, 2011

My Body is My Home.


Home. The word itself elicits a visceral response. That yearning for a foundation and a nurturing, consistent place that supplies us with the nourishment required to accomplish goals and feel safe out in the world. It seems like it should be a given that we have all had this, yet that is not always true. I myself have always yearned for that place.


My parents split up and we sold our childhood home when I was 17, so there is no family home base to return to. However, my sense of feeling homesick was there even as a child. I would tell my mother I had that "homesick feeling" again. At age 15, I set out to New York, and lived away from home for a period of time. My only photograph was a framed photo of E.T. that I had torn out of a magazine. As a youth, I tended to feel alien in my own skin. Somehow the entrapment of a physical body created a longing within me for something more. I spent many years, denying my body it's very basic needs. Sleep, hunger and thirst often felt like an inconvenience that was limiting me from doing the things that were really important like accomplishing my goals or living my dreams. I would exercise for hours on end to push the limits of my body. Rather than escape, exercise is now a way to breathe and ground into my true home: my body. It's taken me years to realize that my body is the very foundation of all that I long to create, and that when I get more connected to my physical body, I get grounded and have a real place to come from. Ironically, in this month that represents home, I am currently away from home, and in one location for no more than 4 days at a time. 


So how to come to a true understanding of "home"? To feel at home, I try to settle into my own skin and become grounded through the use of my body: my breath, physical activity, and the foods that I eat, as well as general self care. Healthy and regular physical habits are my very foundation and I can return to home no matter where I am. That means on a daily basis: 


  • Meditation before I begin my day
  • Sweat
  • Yoga
  • Warm water or tea first thing
  • Brushing, flossing, and tongue scraping
  • Journaling 
Other ways to connect with home energy:

  •  THE EARTH is also our home, and just as we are made up primarily of water, so is our lush earth. It is suggested you drink 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight. Try drinking water to regulate the mind, body and spirit, as water is an energy conductor.
  • HONORING THE FAMILY we came from as our roots. It’s always a complex cocktail of exactly what we needed in order to grow into who we are. I honor this month as my mother's month, as she is my original home and a Cancer.
  • OUR LIVING SPACE. The place where we live represents ourselves. As I recreate my foundation I call upon  power of Feng Shui for an easy flow of manifestation in my life. Click here for some free tips that can increase the abundance and energy flow of your very foundation.
  • ONLINE YOGA ROUTINES. Practice yoga without leaving home, please check out my new downloadable audio and video routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment